Creating Balanced Meals for toddlers is a Snap with Miniware’s Healthy Meal Set with Smart Divider
The foods we choose for our babies have a big impact on their health and development. Their systems are evolving rapidly and they need healthy, nutritious food to convert into important building blocks for a strong foundation. As parents, one way to support our baby’s growth is through creating balanced meals.
Tips for Creating Balanced Meals for Kids
- Small regular meals are the best. Little tummies and growing bodies need small but steady fuel. It’s recommended toddlers eat 3 regular meals and 2-3 snacks per day as well as have 6-8 healthy drinks (water, unsweetened herbal tea)
- Load up on veggies! It’s recommended kids eat 1-2 cups of vegetables per day. Raw, steamed, baked, roasted, stir-fry; get creative!
- Include 5 toddler-size portions of starch per day. In addition to creating energy, your baby will get valuable vitamin B and calcium from bread, pasta, rice, cereal, and potatoes.
- Eat a rainbow. When it comes to fruit and veg, aim for a mix of colors to get the widest variety of vitamins and minerals. From ripe, red strawberries to purple carrots, beets and blueberries, try to feed your baby a rainbow each day! Aim for 5 kid-sized portions of fruit and vegetables daily.
- Aim for a moderate amount of full-fat dairy. Growing bodies use healthy fat from dairy, so skip the skim milk and low-fat yogurt. Doctors recommend 2-3 kid-size portions of dairy foods like milk, cheese, and yogurt per day. Remember, no cow’s milk for babies under 1 year old!
- Two servings of protein are typically enough. The American diet is protein-heavy, but kids only need about 2 servings of protein per day through lean meat, fish, eggs, nuts, or beans (soy or otherwise). It’s also beneficial to include a serving of oily fish like salmon, trout, or fresh tuna once per week for a dose of ultra-healthy fish oil plus zinc, iron, and vitamins A and D.
Removable Suction Foot Means Less Mess for Parents
We designed Miniware’s Healthy Meal Combo Set to support both balanced meals and baby’s self-feeding training. The sandwich plate comes with a removable suction foot which locks the plate in place during feeding time. Even the most energetic eater can’t get it to budge! This keeps the plate on the table or tray where it belongs and means less mess for parents. When your child is ready, just remove the foot for a “big kid” experience.
Say Good-Bye to “My Food is Touching”
You can use the plate on its own or combine with our Smart Divider to transform the plate into 4 compartments. Just snap in place! The Smart Divider is perfect for self-feeders as each section can be filled with different foods types or sauces. Many kids don’t like their foods touching so this keeps soft/liquid foods in place for a clean eating experience. Both the sandwich plate and divider have curved edges to help new eaters pick up and scoop foods.
Portion Control the Way You Like It
You can also use the compartments as a guide for creating balanced meals. Portion a main dish into the larger section and add sides/dessert to the others. Grains and vegetables are recommended in larger portions than protein and fruit, which can go in smaller sections. You can even remove the divider and use it as a separate dish. How you decide to portion the meal is entirely up to you! The Healthy Meal Set is portable and great for picnics and outdoor eating. Just toss in the dishwasher to clean!